201 County Court Blvd., Suite 501A, Brampton, ON L6W4L2


Affidavit and Notarization

A sworn declaration is a document with a set of statements that you declare and affirm to be true. You need to do this in front of “Commissioner of Oaths”. A Commissioner is someone authorized by the Province of Ontario to witness certain kinds of sworn declarations. You could be asked to affirm a declaration when you apply to the government for something or by a company when they need information from you. It may be a form given to you or you may be expected to write it yourself.

Sometimes government forms ask you to sign them in front of a “notary public”. A notary public is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to witness the swearing of oaths and to certify documents. Declarations that will be sent outside of Ontario need to be “notarized”. You may also need the services of a notary if you require certified copies of documents. We will make photocopies and then “certify” them as copies of the original by having the notary public sign the copies. Lawyers are usually notaries.

Our clinic can help you if you need to have a document commissioned or if you need a notary to witness a document or make certified true copies of documents. You must be financially eligible for this service. Please contact us to make an appointment for commissioning or notary services.

We can assist you to write (draft) your declaration. After you read the document and verify all information is accurate, then you will declare and affirm that the set of statements in the document are true in front of a commissioner or notary. Finally, you will sign the declaration and the commissioner or notary will sign as well and place their stamp or seal on the document.

Examples of when would I need a commissioner or notary service:

  • A subsidized housing provider may ask you to provide an affidavit about your income.
  • Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program or another government office wants forms or applications commissioned.
  • You may need a declaration because you have lost a piece of identification such as a passport.
  • You may need a certified copy of an official document.
  • You may need a sponsorship letter for inviting someone from other country.

Need An Appointment For Legal HElp?

Make An Appointment